Sunday, December 26, 2010

NO Christmas Turkey!

I have changed the name of my blog so as to be more specific about its contents...and hopefully draw some new people who have been through similar experiences or have witnessed this in some form.  As I've mentioned in previous blogs what happened to me is not unique but happens a lot more often than you would imagine.  Many people just give up and take what the system initially deals them because they feel like it is too big and powerful to fight....those we never hear from unless we're on the "inside" listening.

Today I am going to deviate from my usual discussion and share with you a different story.  We have recently been denied food stamps but still struggle with not enough money, between Ron's disability (going blind) and my forced label of FELON and inability to get work because of it.  My sister and her husband have helped throughout this ordeal and because of them we have been able to pay rent and utilities.  My son, Brandon, works at the best meat market in all of North Texas and his employer has donated food to us, likewise with Ron's brother and the local food pantries.  Others have helped us in big ways too....please don't misunderstand... this is NOT a call for help....but I had to set-up the story I'm about to tell you!

Christmas morning, Brandon, my budding chef (18 years old and studying at the local community college to be a chef) jumped out of bed, ran to the kitchen and decided to make a chuck roast (donated by his boss) for Christmas.  Now who would have thought to have that for Christmas?  Not I!!  He worked hard at browning and seasoning that roast to perfection, then added water and cooked it very slowly.  He allowed me to wash and cut the veggies (a clerical job saved for underlings) and he then continued to monitor the roast for another 3 hours.  In the meantime, he decided we needed to start cooking the stuffed chicken that Ron's brother brought us the day before.  That chicken came from wonderful Whole Foods and was stuffed with everything healthy and tasty...spinach, garlic, pine nuts and feta cheese...WOOEEEE!! 

I think you've got the picture now...we had a feast like none other!!  A Christmas to remember!  The biggest celebration for a mom returned home from prison...ALL of it just brought tears to my eyes.  I am so grateful to be back with my family.  We had the best Christmas ever with less money than we've ever had.  What a blessing.  God is so good.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. That sounded great.

    We'll have to get Brandon over here to cook us up some YUM.

    ReplyDelete